Friday, May 27, 2011

Hello Hamstrings and Figawi Friday

First off...HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLISON! Last night was spent celebrating with friends for the lovely Allison's birthday. We hit up Whiskey Priest down at the Seaport and there was some of these ladies: 
Besties  = Allison, me and roomie Jenna

A few of these...
Some pretty potent drinks for appetizers
And these handsome studs... 

Matt and Bryan
 Dinner was nothing spectacular, but what can you expect from a restaurant with Whiskey in the name?
Jenna and I split this steak and spinach salad - a little bland, but score for the grilled portobellos on top and fried onions?
We also split this: I promise there is filling in this sandwich - Grilled Portobellos , red pepper, and mozz
 And dun dun dunnnnn....the star of the meal :)

Well and birthday girl of course!!


At the time that bottle of wine was a good idea, I swear
It was a really fun night with some great people - Happy Birthday again Al!!

Source
So here we are, Happy Friday everyone!! I hope you are all psyched for the weekend, as I know I am; the sun is finally shining in the Northeast, work is almost done for the week, it is a long weekend and what an awesome weekend we have planned!! Tripp and I will be joining 3 other couples tonight out in Hyannis, MA to spend the weekend on a boat - sailing from Hyannis, MA to Nantucket, MA in a race called Figawi.


Now I have never attended, nor partaken in this type of race before, so I am not quite sure what to expect, aside from a pretty cool sail and some massive parties (half the people I have spoken to are going out for the island (Nantucket is technically an island, not the tropical one you may be envisioning, but an island none-the-less) and won't even be participating in the race (well I guess it is a perspective thing...drinking all day and making it to the evenings' outings is a whole nother competition in itself!) So keep your eyes peeled for the Figawi recap on Sunday or Monday (I have a feeling you won't be disappointed :) )


In other news...you might remember that I don't really have spectacular hamstring or calf muscle, compared to my thunder thigh quads...well, I took my second ever spin class yesterday (sensing a liking of this activity) and found my hamstrings big time! I was supposed to wake up and run a 10 - 12 miler (to stick with my base building mileage) but instead I found my Stick and went to work...don't get any wrong ideas here - it is a muscle massager to roll out sore muscles...

I realized that I was so worried about fitting in cross-training, that I forgot to respect my body for actual running.  I have fit in speed workouts, kick-boxing, yoga, spin, boot camp, field hockey and that is leaving my poor legs little energy left to just run...it also doesn't help that there is high pollen warning in Boston (hello sinuses, please start working again) and I have been averaging 7 hours of rest (maintaining 8 hours of sleep a night is uber important to keep the body going strong).  So I am going to listen to my body, and I am going to rest a little this weekend.  I am going to enjoy friends, good weather (fingers crossed) and a great event (plus, I get Tripp a whole extra day thanks to Memorial Day!).

After first field hockey game of Spring Season at Bentley (my old stomping grounds) Wednesday night...could be why the hamstrings and butt are screaming at me...just sayin....
Instead of running this morning, I used The Stick, and I did something I am pretty proud of, not gonna lie...I made my very first Green Monster Smoothie!! I want to make sure I have high nutrients and hydration today, so that I make it through the weekend without burning out.

Freezer Dump Green Smoothie

Throw the following into a blender, blend through smooth and enjoy! (2 servings)

  • 1 cup frozen spinach
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries (strawberries, blueberris, blackberries)
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 3 frozen peach slices
  • 1 1/2 T flaxseed
  • 2 T slivered almonds
  • 3/4 c. milk (w/e type you want, I used 1% cow milk)
  • 1/4 c. OJ 
  • 1/4 c. water (to thin out at the end)
  • dash dried ginger pounder
  • 2 tsp. agave syrup
It is a whopper of a smoothie, but I literally dug through my freezer and found everything that looked good to throw in :) Could maybe use a little more OJ for sweeter flavor...

I am off to work, pack and pick up some key ingredients for a funtastic weekend! Enjoy the long weekend - take a walk, have fun with/catch up with friends, get outside, and just RELAX!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!