Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hump Day Half-Week Meals Recap: Seafood overload?

Never! I love seafood so so much, and not meaning to, I have now had it every day this week for lunch and dinner (just finished leftover scrod from last night)! I am trying to balance out the types, so I don't overload on the mercury, but I honestly went with what was on sale, and more importantly, fresh!!

SOoOo here is my half-week in food review:

Sunday:
Tripp made me a special treat of Scallops (one of my absolute
favorites), whole wheat & flax fresh fettuccine and of course broccoli (the star of my meals).  I accompanied it with a glass of my Crianzana Rioja Red wine. To top off this delicious meal (thank you Tripp!) I had a little sampling (ok a big sampling) of roomie Jenna's Chocolate and PB Chip PB cookies, over a little SkinnyCow chocolate fudge brownie fro-yo :)

Monday:
I packed a healthy, filling lunch of spinach salad (w/ red peppers, celery, carrots, strawberries, goat cheese), a RealFoods  organic flax & soy corn thin, and a tuna salad with dijon mustard (I hate mayo), dried cranberries, and flax seeds

Dinner was another HUGE treat a la Dad - he called me at work at around 11 AM and told me
he was in town and wanted to get together for dinner at my Aunts.  I said no cooking and seeing 
you and my Aunt and cousins....YES! So him and my aunt made us shrimp scampi (w/ whole wheat 
fettuccine just for my cuz Mae and me :) they love us) and broccoli of course :) 

Tuesday:
Tuesday AM at work, I decided to play with the Flavia machine and try to make
French Vanilla Espresso mixed with regular coffee...it was an epic fail (and mess!) and
I turned it into iced coffee (what I could of it - when life throws you lemons....make iced coffee?!)


My post bootcamp/sitting in traffic savoir! LUNA bars to the rescue again :) 
Then for dinner, I decided it was time to try my hand at not only cooking a new fish, but creating a new recipe :)  Here is my go at it! (Note to self: use your normal camera, not the Droid next time)
And the creation begins! grinding up my fish breading.
Always a fun meal when you get to use the mini Cuisinart chopper :)

I believe this was just over 1 lb. of Scrod a little salt here a little pepper there!
my greens for a complete meal :) Asparagus! Another green favorite, that
I can only make when Tripp is NOT here - he doesn't like the way, well you know what I am getting it...

And voila! A total meal (with a little whole wheat fettuccine from the other night)
Baked Scrod with Fresh Herbed Breadcrumbs:
  • 1 lb. fresh scrod (any heartier white fish would really work) washed and patted dry
  • 3/4 cup or so (depending on size of fish) crushed crackers (I used CARRs cracked pepper water crackers - mostly because they were the only crackers in the pantry)
  • a handful of fresh basil
  • a handful of fresh parsley
  • a handful of fresh mint
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 lemon, halved
  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil (1 1/2 for breadcrumb mix, 1 for top of fish)
  • Salt and Pepper (enough to cover both sides of fish)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray glass oven dish (large enough to fit fish fairly comfortably) with PAM (or alternative - could use butter or oil). Spread 1/2 - 1 T of olive oil and Salt and Pepper on each side of fish, and place skin side down in oiled dish.  Combine and grind together (a mini chopper works best) crushed crackers, fresh herbs (basil, parsley, mint), paprika, and garlic.  Pour dry mixture into a small mixing bowl and add in the remaining olive oil and juice from half of the lemon.  Mix together with hands (add more oil or lemon juice if it is still too dry).  Spread mixture over fish evenly, and squeeze the second half of the lemon over the top of the fish and crumbs.  Place in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes (fish will flake when poked, when done) - shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes. Enjoy :)

And to make my mom proud, I stayed up and finished this awesome book (no seriously, a little disturbing, but a GREAT read - add it to the summer reading list!) Wally Lamb: She's Come Undone


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like seafood? How do you like it cooked best: fried, baked, grilled, broiled, pan-seared?

I loveeee loveee seafood! It is tough, but I think my favorite type would have to be grilled - mmm a grilled swordfish or scallops!!

Have you read any good books lately? Comment and let me know what I should be reading next!!

I just finished She's Come Undone - I would have to say it was really good, but disturbing. Wally Lamb is a great write though - very easy to follow and get hooked to :) 

1 comment:

  1. I love seafood! Can't imagine ever having too much! Your meals look delicious.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!