Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Guilty as Charged, but still a bit successful

Workout: 55 minute boot camp, 30 minute elliptical (3.14 miles - slow for a leg recovery after boot camp), 15 minutes stretching (I will be happy tomorrow).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So after I was so excited about today being the first day of summer, and how gorgeous it was outside, you wouldn't believe me that I spent my evening in the gym, indoors instead of the shining glory that was the evening sky.

Next week I plan on starting my marathon plan, and I want to get into a good habit of not skipping my cross-training days (even if the sun is tempting me like the siren it is to me)! So I am guilty as charged for working out indoors, but my body was happy I pushed through the boot camp and even fit in some lighter cardio on the elliptical as a cool down :)
Rockin' the new Active Band - it really works wonders!
On the way home, I contemplated power yoga (as I only have a couple days left to use my BuyWithMe coupon I had for Karma Yoga Studio) but I realized not only had I taxed my body enough for today, without adding a yoga boot camp to the mix, but I was really hungry and it was already 7:20 (I am making a conscious attempt to eat dinner a little earlier)...

So I went straight home for a shower, to unwind, and to make up a fabulous new rice recipe (had to jazz up my grilled tofu and asparagus leftovers!) So here you are...

Tangy Lemon Soy Rice

4 cups brown rice (cooked)
2 T scallions (chopped)
1 1/2 T fresh mint (chopped)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 tsp. sesame oil 
1 T soy sauce
1/2 T rice vinegar
1/2 T apple cider vinegar
1/4 lemon 
salt & pepper to taste

While the rice is cooking (I used a 10 minute rice in a bag so it was quick), wash and chop your ingredients separately. Brown the chopped garlic in the sesame oil and set aside. 
 When rice is done, squeeze the 1/4 lemon into the rice and then mix in the rest of the ingredients until well combined.  Season with salt and pepper (it will be a little tangy because of the lemon and vinegar, so careful with too much salt).

Place exciting yummy rice next to not so exciting leftovers, and enjoy!!
This was the perfect recovery meal, as the tofu and brown rice provide some good protein, whole grain carbs, detoxifying lemon, and nutrient rich green veggies :)  Now let's just hope my push-up punished shoulders think so tomorrow morning!

P.S. I had such a success tonight at boot camp - it was my second time (and I have been doing this same one for over a year and a half now) completing an entire push-up challenge!! What is a push-challenge? It is a ladder starting at 1 and ending with 10, real (no knee) push-ups where you "rest" in plank for the same count as the number of push-ups you just completed.  To finish the challenge, you have to make it to 10 without putting your knees down or pushing your butt (think downward dog) and I did it!!! Maybe those 50 a day are paying off (if only I could keep them up!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you feel guilty when you go to the gym and it is gorgeous outside? How do you get over that feeling?

I always do, and I usually skip the gym and go running outside, but I need to work on keeping my cross-training habits or I will burn out on running everyday during training...

What is the most creative ingredients you have thrown in your rice sides?

I love making cold rice and dried cherry salads, they are definitely the most extravagant and with summer, here, I will have to get all the ingredients together and share that recipe as well!

3 comments:

  1. Great workout! And you're just too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel too bad about hitting up the gym when it's gorgeous outside--I have to make myself do something other than run so usually I'm pretty proud!
    The rice looks amazing---much more exciting than my normal plain rice sides!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmm AMAZING workout! you are inspiring! and that pushup challenge sounds so hard core! way to go! SO awesome that you love your Active band! you look gorgeous in it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!