Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Broccoli Slaw Confessions

I am not one to like coleslaw very much - I'll nibble on it if it comes with my sandwich or seafood, but I don't make a point to order or make it.  I guess I would have to blame it primarily on the massive amount of mayo that is usually used in the side.

I did however discover a love of slaw though, and now it is a favorite summer side for dinner, BBQ's and salad toppers! I never make it the same twice, as I am big on using the pantry pieces I do have, rather than going out and buying all the exact components (it also gives it a nice new flare and I don't get bored).  I do try to stick with a few staple ingredients though, so here is my take on Broccoli Slaw!


Broccoli Slaw:

Ingredients:

  • 1 bag DOLE pre-packaged broccoli slaw (or you could make your own shredded brocolli stalks, carrots and red cabbage)
  • 1/8 cup Raisins (I like to use the variety bag with smaller/larger/yellow/brown raisins)
  • 1/8 cup Dried Cranberries (or any dried fruit you enjoy - I have used figs, apples and cherries as well)*
  • 1/4 cup Slivered almonds (I have also used chopped walnuts)
  • 1 - 2 stalks Scallions, diced (depending on how much you like onions)
  • 1 Pkg Ramen Noodles - chicken flavor**
  • 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/8 cup EVOO
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
You are going to want to start making this the night before you serve, or at least 8 hours before serving.  In a large bowl, mix the broccoli slaw bag with the raisins, dried fruit, almonds, scallions, vinegar, EVOO, S&P, and half the pkg of spice mix from Ramen - DO NOT mix in the Ramen until you are about ready to serve! The Ramen will get too soggy if you allow it to sit.

Let mixture (sans Ramen noodles) sit for at least 8 hours, you will notice before serving the raisins and dried fruit have really plumped up with the vinegar and oil mixed! Just before you are ready to serve, mix in the broken up Ramen noodles and enjoy!

* If you don't want to use, or don't have, dried fruit, make it a 1/4 cup of raisins.
**You do not need to include Ramen if that is not your cup of tea...Ramen just adds another texture and feel to the slaw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your favorite type of "slaw"

What would you put in your version of my Broccoli Slaw?

Today mine had dried figs, chopped walnuts and no Ramen :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks really good, I'll have to try it! I do not like cole slaw, because it's more like "eating a giant tub of mayo" slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a salad I will try for sure! So colorful, delicious and healthy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!