Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marathon Training Pan, Week #3 and some core fusion madness!

Welcome to week #3 of my marathon training journey - I am really loving sharing all of my realizations, motivators and plans with you all, it is helping me keep my focus and keep looking forward to the next day's workout!

This week I am going to concentrate on doing more hip strengthening and continue to listen to my body and how it reacts to the mileage and to the cross-training and take a break if I am feeling any pain or overwork - it is still too early in my training to burn out or get injured from pushing it.
I am excited to go for the 16 miles, but am going to try a little better to run with a buddy, I think I am going to need the mental push and motivation of a friend.  Other than that, the plan doesn't look too much different than week 1, so should be achievable.

I am even more excited for this long run, so I can try out my new McDavid USA compression sleeves I won thanks to Michelle over at Running with Attitude!!  Can't wait to try these out and let you all know how great they are!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This past Sunday the Boston Run LUNA Chix team hosted a Core Fusion Cardio Clinic at Exhale Spa Battery Wharf.  It was a pretty decent turn out, and with the 90 degree humidity outside, it was nice to be working out with some great girls in a chilled out gym!

One of the big objectives of our LUNA Chix team (and all the Chix across the country) is to raise awareness and funds for the Breast Cancer Fund.  The Breast Cancer Fund is a great organization that works to research prevention of cancer, and solely prevention - stop it before it has a chance to attack.  A lot of their research and published reports around BPA and its affects on the body and ways to avoid BPA in all aspects of your life (think all things canned - tuna, veggies, fruits - make-up - plastic bottles.....)
 There were lots of plank runs (think mountain climbers)

 And some v-sit torture burn to finish up the class!
 We also had a drawing for a free pair of Ahnu shoes.  Cheryl (on the right) was the lucky winner!! Ahnu is a phenomenal company that has a great sustainable mission and vision, and even cooler - they work with Luna and Clifbar to raise money and awareness for the Breast Cancer Fund!!
Sending out a huge thank you to the instructors at Exhale for leading such a fantastic class and taking time out on a sunny Sunday to teach us wacky run chix! I would also like to thank Ahnu for supplying a pair of their nifty shoes and last but not least, I would love to thank all the women who came out and participated - I hope you all had a great time and were able to learn a few things and get a good burn on :)

I re-fueled with one of these:
 Look at these adorable tags to gain awareness for our team page and our community events (if you are in Boston, make sure to check out our Wednesday evening Charles River runs!!).  You too can find out more about the LUNA Chix teams, run - bike - tri, across the country - here
 After laying low for the rest of the afternoon, I hit up the grocery store, finished up the laundry, attempted to paint my toes and fingernails and then grilled up some of this deliciousness for my sailing champ when he got home from his latest regatta...
Some grilled teriyaki chicken, sweet potato fries and broccoli/cauliflower 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have a Luna Chix team in your town/city? Have you ever done a run, bike, swim or clinic with them?

Do you have your own run group you do group runs or events with?

What is your favorite Luna bar flavor?

Chocolate Dipped Coconut - if you like Samoas Girl Scout cookies, you will LOVE these bars!

2 comments:

  1. so glad you wrote about and linked Luna chix! i saw it on your training plan and was going to ask about it...it does not look like there is a group near me :( but I am going to keep this in mind for when I a move in a year...maybe I will move close to one! it looks awesome!

    i love the brownie luna bars but have never heard of the one you mentioned...i gotta find that one!

    good luck in your training this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a great class!! You will ROCK your LR!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!