Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thought I forgot? Feeling the racing love and compassion...

I know you were all anxious to see what the big decision over my mid-marathon training half marathon would be...is it Freeport....is it YukanRun?! Well, after some great input from you guys and my running buddy Emma (who will be running with me, or would it be, I am running with her?) the decision landed on...


Drum Roll Please - What cart system did Bob choose?
Source
After much deliberation (and if you follow me on FB or Twitter or have noticed my sidebar widget, you may already know), we picked the Cape Ann YukanRun Half Marathon.  There were several driving factors, including:
  • Date of race: August 14th - about 6 weeks into marathon training, and a great time to check progress on training
  • Location: Rockport, MA - less than an hour from Boston 
  • Price: $45, not too shabby for the price halves have been running
  • Course: out and back along the water (honestly not sure of hills, they don't have an elevation map on the site)
  • BONUS: Tripp ensures me the town is cute and beachy (which he knows I love) with cute shops, small roads and pretty beaches - hang out after the race? ok!
I am excited to test out my fitness and training progress during this race and plus...training was already getting a little anxious, knowing I still only have 12 more weeks until Newport! 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition to a half marathon, I have also just signed up for a 5k right here in Boston that is being run for an awesome cause that my friend and fellow LUNA chick, Jessie, made me aware of.  I was flipping through my Twitter feed and caught my eye on this:
I looked up the foundation and details of the race, and quickly replied that I would love to participate!  I joined her team (the Pinball Wizards - one of his favorite hobbies!) quickly after, and set up my personal page to share with my friends and family.  

On September 17th I will be participating in the MMRF Race for Research, running with team Pinball Wizards in honor of a dear friend's uncle.  As the world's number-one funder of multiple myeloma research, the MMRF has raised over $170 million to fund research worldwide. 

You may be wondering, what is Multiple Myeloma?
Source
Multiple Myeloma is a cancer in the plasma cells of the bone marrow, which causes tumors to form on areas of solid bone.  This also makes it harder for the bone marrow to create healthy blood cells and lowers the immune system.  With MM, there is increased susceptibility to anemia, unexplained broken bones and bone pain, and abnormal bleeding.

MM affects about 4 in every 100,000 people, showing to be more common in older aged men and twice as common in blacks than it is in whites.  The prognosis is only 3 to 4 years! However, with advanced treatment, this could be increased to 5 to 7 years.  

Those affected, and those who may develop the disease, deserve a chance to live a long, pain-free life, so please help me, and our team, Pinball Wizards, to support the research, prevention of and cure for Multiple Myeloma.  You can donate securely on my personal donation page, and feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

You can help donate to this amazing cause by clicking on here - every little bit helps, even if you just click to find out more about the MMRF and how you might be able to help!  I thank you in advance for your generosity and support.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever run a charity race? Did you run it on a team or solo?

This will be my first! I am really excited to be taking part in this!

Do you know anyone with Multiple Myeloma or who has suffered from Multiple Myeloma?

5 comments:

  1. How fun! I have done a few charity races and I really enjoy them! It has multiple meanings and is a healthy/fun way to get into good shape. I usually loop in a few friends to do it with me so it makes the run more fun.

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  2. yayyy! so excited for your half. and races for charity are my absolute favorite...I love the atmosphere...they just feel so inspiring, friendly and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! How exciting. I'd love to run a charity race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. $45 for a half marathon?! Sign me up, that's amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun doing your 1/2. Charity races are always a good time. Enjoy the cute beachy town =) I'd be in for that alone!

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!