Monday, July 11, 2011

Week 1 down, 14 to go...

So I had intended on writing this little weekly recap last night, but I am really smart and ran out of the office Friday, while my laptop sat patiently, and a little hurt that I forgot it, on my docking station. tear, sniff, sigh...sorry laptop...

Anywho...I know you were all dying to see how she did on the first week of marathon training...or maybe I am just really excited to see how I did myself, either way...here you go!

Plan

vs. Reality














Reaction to Week 1 Marathon Training:


  • I am really happy with my mileage - it was a little over my planned mileage, but my legs still felt good and strong at the end of the week
  • I spent just over 2 hours cross-training and mixed in an extra spin class when I couldn't get over to boot camp, so I am happy that I didn't waste a x-train day.
  • I realize that I need to put more x-train into the plan, so I will work on that in coming weeks


Long Run Recap:

  • HOT - I waited way too long (started at almost 10 AM on Saturday, when I had planned on starting at 7!) The temp was around 85 and slightly humid.  Running 5 miles of the run along the shoreline of Rhode Island, meant very little shade = A LOT hotter! Need to run earlier next week
  • I did pretty well with hydration: carried about 8 oz. Gatorade G2 with me for the first 8 miles and picked up a 16 oz. water bottled mixed with some more G2 at mile 8.5 (along with a little bit of water while I rested for a minute) - Not enough left over for post-run - will work on that next week
  • I ran alone - which was pretty difficult around mile 7 and 8, when I was out of my comfort zone and really struggling in the heat - Will work on running partner for next week
  • I started out a lot quicker than my planned pace (7:30s vs. 8:30s) - and I would assume that added to my feeling burned out later on in the run, in addition to the heat. - will try to concentrate on sticking to pace next week
  • Even though I was dressed to channel the hydration of the fabulous fruit, the watermelon, I was not so perfect with my hydration tactics...
So the shorts are pink with black polka dots...very comfy NIKE dry-fit - very disappointing NO POCKET! I had to wear the belt...o BTW - notice the awesome new boat in the background...Tripp and his sialing partner Mike got a new flashy cat and WON their regatta while I was out running - congrats to them!!!
All in all, I am really happy with the week, I have some really great things to work on, including a more structured cross-training plan, better hydration and timing for summer long runs, and running partners for the long run (especially as the miles start going up and up, I could sense lack of motivation when running alone this week).  I will have a Week 2 plan up by EOD today for marathon training Week #2! Stay tuned...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What was the workout you learned the most from last week?

Definitely my long run...I did Monday - Wed runs in temps in the 90's, but I took them at a better pace and they were a lot shorter.

What are your favorite cross-training activities? I need some new moves and workouts to mix in!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great week! All your runs (plus some) and cross training too. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job this week!!! you are off to a GREAT start. and i love that you posted what you learned...thanks for sharing :)

    ummm cross-training. Lately I am into biking, circuits and strength training.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!