I know...it's a little unconventional, but I will not be even thinking about a PR, in fact, I want to go slow...that's right...my goals are all around going slower. This weekend's half marathon is only 13.1 miles of my larger 18 mile long run. Which means, if I race it...I am going to be hurting when I try to finish up my last 5, and maybe even lose motivation to finish it! I also need to be able to recover in time, for my 20-miler next Thursday (more to come on that later)!
So here it goes, my goals for the YukanRun Half Marathon:
- Get a good warm-up in (hoping to get in at least one or two miles before the race, so I can enjoy the celebration post race)
- Hydrate often: I will be stopping at most, if not all, of the water stations (located every other mile starting at mile 2)
- Listen to my body: I am going to concentrate on my anxiety level (it is a race environment), breathing, muscle fatigue, mental thoughts - preparing for raceday environment
- Finish my long run: no matter if I have 3 or 5 miles to go when the race is over, I WILL knock them out
- Have fun! This is a training run for Emma and I, not a PR challenge, and there will be raffles, food, and music (oh and pretty beaches) for post-run
No time goals for this one, just a pace around 8:30s (to put this in perspective...my PR half had me pacing 7:35s).
I am excited and nervous and happy that this is coming up! I love to run with Emma, and I love to run in race environments! I am also pumped about our plan to spend the rest of the day there laying on the beach :)
I am off to finish up work and get ready for another super busy weekend.....
|Laying on a beach towel with friends|
|Finally finishing my Runner's World while I re-hydrate|
|And re-fueling with fabulous eats :)|
Do you have any races this weekend? If so, good luck! If not, happy running!
What is your favorite weekend activity during summer?
Definitely laying on the beach doing nothing for a couple of hours, relaxing after a good morning workout...