- I didn't run as many days as previous weeks (only 3 days!), but I still up'd the mileage (not as much as I wanted to, but still by about 10%, which is OK, in fact, recommended).
- I had more time on my feet running than last week (4:03:36 vs. 3:54:10) and my legs are feeling fresh on Monday morning
- Thanks to running buddy Emma, we took travel plans into consideration and had a plan in place for our long run on Saturday, despite being at a regatta. She had a 5.5 mile loop printed out and highlighted with large/visible roads to follow.
- I was honestly upset that I didn't fit yoga in last week - will make a true effort this week to fit it in.
- I also would have liked to have an extra day of weight training in there - I did do some push-ups and sit-ups on Friday, but nothing too note-worthy.
- There was a fantastic track workout on Wednesday, I got over my fear of 800s and I ran a ladder workout before field hockey.
- 1.5 mile warm up
- 3 x 400s (1:37, 1:36, 1:37) w/ 200 RI's
- 2 x 800s (3:20, 3:16) w/ 400 RI
- 1 x 400 (1:36) w/ 400 RI (wanted to do 2 more, but had to get cool down in before field hockey)
- 1.5 mile cool down
Long Run Recap: 16.89 miles 2:27:36 avg. pace: 8:44
- Not as smooth as the time and distance might lead on. It was very hot by the time I started my second of three 5.5 mile loops and a decent level of humidity (90-95%). I took two significant breaks, one to refill my water bottle with Clifbar Shot Electrolyte drink (lemonade - review to come) and br break, and 1 at Dunkin Donuts around mile 14 to drink a large glass of ice water, refill water bottle and put ice cubes in my sports bra and in my headband.
- I got to run with a friend again, Emma and I ran miles 1 - 5.5 together and then did our own thang to finish up our runs (she was doing 11 and I was aiming for 16). Her and I will be running in the Cape Ann YukanRun 1/2 marathon on Sunday, so it was good to get out on the roads with her!
- I ran with only my Nathan handheld, which, as much as I love him, wasn't enough once the sun was high in the sky - should have pulled out the water belt and stopped being stubborn. I had to stop multiple times to refill, as I started getting the chills and slightly dizzy (no bueno).
- We started at 9:30 AM, which was a good 2 hours or more too late for the weather. The race starts at 8 AM next week, so hopefully that will be a little better
- I had a Clifbar Shot Gel Citrus at mile 8 and 2 shot blok margarita squares at miles 12 and 14. I re-fueled with some more electrolyte drink and a LUNA mint chocolate protein bar. My stomach was a little upset later in the day, so I am not sure if all of the "nutrition" I am consuming is sitting well in the tummy!
I would say all in all, it was a decent week last week and I am happy with how the long run eventually turned out (woo-hoo, new distance PR) and I will try to incorporate the two components I missed this week into next week's plan (hills and yoga). Also, I might have a fun meet-up happening tomorrow, so that will make training ten times more fun! Oh yes, and I have a few new goodies to highlight - so stay tuned!!
Have you ever been really afraid you were too dehydrated to keep going? How did that workout/race turn out?
Do you have any good suggestions for more natural nutrition for long runs?
What have your track workouts looked like lately? I need some inspiration!