Monday, August 8, 2011

Marathon Training Recap, Week #5

This past week started out really well, and then I missed my hilly run to meet my Mom for dinner and drinks and on Friday I was hit with a raging head/sinus PIA.  I am not sure if it is a cold (still fighting with it today) or allergies, but I was convinced on Friday that it was a sinus infection, which was not the case, but made my Friday fairly miserable feeling none-the-less.  So that forced me into an unexpected rest day Friday, no yoga, no hill run and a fear I wouldn't be able to get in my long run (which was disheartening due to my failed 16 miles last week). Needless to say, I got in my run, plus a little :)
The Plan:


 vs. Reality:


Reaction:

  • I didn't run as many days as previous weeks (only 3 days!), but I still up'd the mileage (not as much as I wanted to, but still by about 10%, which is OK, in fact, recommended).
  • I had more time on my feet running than last week (4:03:36 vs. 3:54:10) and my legs are feeling fresh on Monday morning
  • Thanks to running buddy Emma, we took travel plans into consideration and had a plan in place for our long run on Saturday, despite being at a regatta. She had a 5.5 mile loop printed out and highlighted with large/visible roads to follow.
  • I was honestly upset that I didn't fit yoga in last week - will make a true effort this week to fit it in.
  • I also would have liked to have an extra day of weight training in there - I did do some push-ups and sit-ups on Friday, but nothing too note-worthy.
  • There was a fantastic track workout on Wednesday, I got over my fear of 800s and I ran a ladder workout before field hockey.
    • 1.5 mile warm up 
    • 3 x 400s (1:37, 1:36, 1:37) w/ 200 RI's
    • 2 x 800s (3:20, 3:16) w/ 400 RI
    • 1 x 400 (1:36) w/ 400 RI (wanted to do 2 more, but had to get cool down in before field hockey)
    • 1.5 mile cool down
Long Run Recap: 16.89 miles 2:27:36 avg. pace: 8:44
  • Not as smooth as the time and distance might lead on.  It was very hot by the time I started my second of three 5.5 mile loops and a decent level of humidity (90-95%).  I took two significant breaks, one to refill my water bottle with Clifbar Shot Electrolyte drink (lemonade - review to come) and br break, and 1 at Dunkin Donuts around mile 14 to drink a large glass of ice water, refill water bottle and put ice cubes in my sports bra and in my headband.
  • I got to run with a friend again, Emma and I ran miles 1 - 5.5 together and then did our own thang to finish up our runs (she was doing 11 and I was aiming for 16).  Her and I will be running in the Cape Ann YukanRun 1/2 marathon on Sunday, so it was good to get out on the roads with her!
  • I ran with only my Nathan handheld, which, as much as I love him, wasn't enough once the sun was high in the sky - should have pulled out the water belt and stopped being stubborn.  I had to stop multiple times to refill, as I started getting the chills and slightly dizzy (no bueno).
  • We started at 9:30 AM, which was a good 2 hours or more too late for the weather.  The race starts at 8 AM next week, so hopefully that will be a little better
  • I had a Clifbar Shot Gel Citrus at mile 8 and 2 shot blok margarita squares at miles 12 and 14.  I re-fueled with some more electrolyte drink and a LUNA mint chocolate protein bar.  My stomach was a little upset later in the day, so I am not sure if all of the "nutrition" I am consuming is sitting well in the tummy!
I would say all in all, it was a decent week last week and I am happy with how the long run eventually turned out (woo-hoo, new distance PR) and I will try to incorporate the two components I missed this week into next week's plan (hills and yoga).  Also, I might have a fun meet-up happening tomorrow, so that will make training ten times more fun! Oh yes, and I have a few new goodies to highlight - so stay tuned!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever been really afraid you were too dehydrated to keep going? How did that workout/race turn out?

Do you have any good suggestions for more natural nutrition for long runs?

What have your track workouts looked like lately? I need some inspiration!

3 comments:

  1. did my first track workout ever today and i was kinda fearful...i wanted to stick with something i could handle so i did 4x800s. I actually really enjoyed it and was proud of myself. Even though you ran less days it seems like you got in QUALITY runs which is so important! congrats on your distance PR! and good luck at the race this weekend...excited for you!!

    i have never been toooo dehydrated (I don't think)...usually if I can tell...it happens at the end of the race and I know I am close to the end. This summer I have been taking endurolyte pills on my runs and I think that has really helped. The handheld helps too...but totally agree in that once the sun comes up...I can barely keep it filled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never taken water with me on a run, but that's definitely something I'd like to try. Lately I've been waiting 'til like 9 at night to run, when it's cooled off a bit... but that's so not helpful to my training when the race takes place in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow I don't think i could start a long run that late and finish, just mentally it would wipe me out.

    I meant to email you sooner, you won the fiber one giveaway! shoot me your address info
    amandacbrooks at yahoo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!