Monday, August 22, 2011

Marathon Training Recap, Week #7, the 20-miler club

This has been a manic Monday so this might be a little quick, apologies...but have you ever seen the bottom of an inbox the day back from vaca? Me neither (still haven't)!

I wanted to get out my unconventional week #7 training recap though, and mainly wanted you all to know I survived the wild wedding weekend with all 10 fingers and toes...can't say too much for the toes my heels tromped on at the weddings, what can I say, I was a dancing machine!

The Plan:
Vs. Reality:

Reaction to Marathon Training Week #7:

  • Happy that I maintained a 30+ mile week (even though it was just over 30) despite my mish-mosh plan
  • A little upset I couldn't find more time for cross-training - my body is craving it so bad this week...will be incorporating more circuit training in there!
  • Proud that I maintained my daily core work and kept up with my 30-day core work challenge - it really helped that I had it written into the plan - will be doing that again this week for the non-cross-training days just for an extra reminder
  • Realized how much getting off your regular workout/eating plan really messes with your body - my stomach has been all out of whack this weekend and today...the food was phenomenal and the desserts and drinks were plenty, but back to cleaner eating this week!
Long Run Recap: 20 miles, 3:14:24, Avg. Pace: 9:41
  • Thank goodness I had soon-to-be wed Chris on this run...because wow 20 miles and 3+hours is a LONG time/way to run!
  • The weather was not as bad as we were making it out to be, it was a lot less humid than we have had up here and the breeze at the end was timed perfectly for cool down :)
  • I spotted Tonia on the way, which was an awesome feeling - Chris had to tell me to slow back down about 10 times in the next mile alone I was so excited!
  • We crossed through 4 towns and then back through them - we did an out-and-back that left us 10 miles from the car, and the only way back was 10 more miles!
  • The biggest success of this run, was that not only did Chris and I both finish our longest run to date, but he also made it through his rehearsal dinner that night, his wedding the next afternoon, and hopefully hopped on that plane in time for his honeymoon :)
  • To top off a killer long run, Chris made me feel even more on cloud 9 when he made this little comment
    • "You know, not many people go out and run 20+ miles for fun, unless they are training for a marathon, and even then, some don't run up to 20 until race day...it's like we just joined a new club, the 20-miler club!"
      • Heck, it's not the mile-high club, or the ultra-club, but I will surely take the 20-miler club any day, ok...maybe one day twice a month until after race day when I don't have to run that long, club :)
I am off to finish digging through that endless inbox and try to fit in workout #1 of week #8 before what is promised to be a fabulous Boston Restaurant Week dinner with the roomies :) Stay tuned for training week #8 plan and wedding photobombs!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you a member of the 20-miler club? Did you do it for fun, or for training purposes?

Do you get super-excited when you run into bloggers and react like you spotted a celebrity?

I get really giddy, not gonna lie!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the club! I think 20-miles for fun is a bit of an oxymoron. Ha! But it sure does feel good when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! As of yesterday, I'm a member of the club--and it feels great!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a member and it was done for training purposes ONLY!!! I don't know if I would ever do it for fun!

    Don't forget to enter my giveaway!

    http://www.theathletarian.com/2011/08/giveaway-time-my-new-bible.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the 20 miler club!!! I don't know if I will ever be a part of it... maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!