Friday, September 9, 2011

LUNA Chix Walk or Run for Fun Recap

Last night the Boston Run LUNA Chix Team hosted our inaugural Walk or Run for Fun event in Harvard Square, and let me just tell you, it was a fantastic success! I hope the women that participated thought so too, but from the energy and excitement I saw radiating from that Common, I believe that they did :)
The back of our shirts (Team Luna Chix) 
You might remember a few weeks ago, when I posted about this event going live, and featured my friend Emma's fabulous explanation of the evening.  Well, this was honestly such a cool experience to be a part of, the women were strong, energetic, and smiling the whole time! Unfortunately we had to turn down some on-site registrations, as this was a woman only event, but I am sure those guys understood :)

I got over to Cambridge Commons (right next to the center of Harvard Sq.) around 5:15ish, just after my PT session downtown, only to find there wasn't much more to set up, just time to get the party started! You could see the tents and flags a couple of blocks away, (the bright turquoise/blue/yellows are hard to miss) and my excitement startled to really bubble. You see, this is the first time I am seeing a lot of these gals in almost a full month! It is also the first active event I was taking part in, in the past 3 or 4 weeks...so, as you could imagine, I was a little stoked.
Yeah, that's my happy face, it is the reason Tripp stays with me...j/k - kind of...
There were two big tents for tasting and registration, a DJ from Mix 104.1 and a few "water" stations to mingle, and some changing tents (for the women to change into their Luna shirts - such a cool idea for a race/event) set up inside a large blue Luna fence.  The Clifbar mobile was parked just off to the side and there were two porta potties right near (100+ women for 2 1/2 hours? Necessities!).  I quickly changed into my Team shirt (the follow me one abve) and took a spot at the registration table, handing out shirts to all the participants (everyone was asked to wear theirs for the duration of the event, so we could tell who was with us) and helping check in everyone.
some of the awesome women in their Luna shirts getting ready to stretch!
About an hour later, the 100 or so women were all gathered into the Luna lounge and led in a group stretch to warm up their muscles...this wasn't a race, but it was an active event, so stretching was pertinent!  Once the stretch was done, the first group was told they were ready to head out! Guess who got to lead the first group?! Oh yeah, I was the 15-minute mile pace group leader for the "Power Walkers".  I think my teammates new how bummed I was about not being able to run, and honestly, I had a kick ass group and we got to chat the whole time!
I had to got the privilege of holding that Chinese Lantern up the whole time! Should not have done shoulders the day before, note to self for next year! (that is 
An exhilarating 1.5 miles (I always forget how tiring power walking can be!) and a few, errr, wrong turns missteps later, we made it safely back to the Luna Lounge to enjoy some of Rob's Swirl electrolyte enhanced water (same company that makes Pirates Booty...swoon), a cool down Yoga session, Luna bar sample bars, and a sweeeet goodie bag (many women won prizes, like a $30 gift certificate to Marathon Sports!).  Since it is feeling a lot like fall, the darkness came a little early, and so the party wrapped up around 8:00 - but let me tell you, it was a goood time!
Luna minis in their glory :)
The Boston Run team hung around for some more dancing and team photos, before heading out to some dinner (it was 8:30 and I was hungry-pants).  We hit up Border Cafe for some eats (great Tex-Mex/Cajun restaurant in Harvard Sq.) where I enjoyed a Margarita (had to replenish the salt I lost from the walk?) and the swordfish fish tacos.  I even got a side cup of gumbo free, because the waiter forgot to put in my order and felt bad - he was a great guy for putting up with us riled up ladies!
Looking a little more normal in group settings, kudos to the one that can pick out my kinesio tape! (I am the one all the way to the right in the first row, in case you weren't sure)
Look at our Capt.'s adorable prego belly in the center!! She led the Ambler walking group and stretching!! She is amazing pretty much...
Last night and this morning my knee area was a bit sore, and a little puffy (I refuse to call it swollen unless it is big and nasty), so I rested up and am hoping for some relief this afternoon...but it was worth it, every second - I was a little extra ADHD last night, so sorry for all of you who had to listen to me non-stop...I was just really really excited to be a part of that, so thank you :)

All Photos in this post are courtesy of  © Liz McEachern Hall 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever participated in a running/walking event (could be biking, swimming, skiing, etc) that was just for fun? Did you feel bad about having a fee for it?

I was a little put off by the fee at first, but once I saw that the whole amount (which was cheaper than most 5k's these days) went straight to the Breast Cancer Fund, I understood the reasoning a bit more.

Do you power walk ever? Boy is it tough!



4 comments:

  1. For me, anything under $20 is fun... anything over $20 is serious. Like I just paid $100 for my 1/2 marathon in October so the world is going to end if I don't do well, haha.

    I've never power walked a long distance, but I absolutely would try it for a cause like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looked like such a fun event!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this seriously sounds like a blast! love love love all your pics and glad you had so much fun! i looked up the luna group after you first posted about it. unfortunately there is not one near me but maybe some day :) i would love to participate in such a fun group like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that first photo, it made me h-a-p-p-y!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!