Thursday, October 27, 2011

Three Things Thursday, Baking, Racing and a Recipe!

Hello there...I am glad my Tommie Copper Review was able to help out a few of you, or at least give you a little more insight into the different kinds of compression available.  I know everyone will have different experiences and opinions, but I hope my own thoughts on the benefits of the product were helpful!  If not, I hope you at least enjoyed the red-faced model in the first picture :)

So, it is already Thursday - which is kind of blowing my mind, but I won't complain because that means Friday is tomorrow, and such a fun weekend awaits! There will be Halloween celebrations, a celebration for a good friend who just got a new job (yay!) and perhaps a race on Sunday! So let's get right into this, shall we?!

1. Baking...if you haven't seen or heard yet, Kari @ Running Ricig is hosting an online bake sale to raise fund for Kisses from Katie, which is a non-profit that raises money to help and support families with children in the pediatrics ICU.  All of the proceeds from the sale will go directly to the organization, which is run by one phenomenal family.

I was definitely interested in helping out, so I volunteered to bake something for the sale, and donate my time and baking skills to the cause.  This is just a little teaser of the treats I will be baking up :)
Because I forgot to picture last time I made them...Source
Yes, those are the Oreo cookies, from the famous Flour Cookbook :)
Love, Love, Love this bakery! If you come to Boston, you must check out the sticky buns, or the sandwiches, or the breads, or everything!! Source
The bake sale will be held THIS SUNDAY (oct. 30, 2011) from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM - that is an entire day to check it out, drool a little and make some offers.  I hope you all will go over and check out the sale on Sunday!


Also, If you'd like to participate in baking, the sign up will be open until this Thursday (that is tonight ;) ).


2. Racing: This Sunday, I will also be taking part in the Susan G. Komen, Race for the Cure 5K, taking place in my own hood, South Boston! My co-workers reached out a couple of weeks ago for more employees to join the corporate team for the race, and my "reply" and "send" button were clicked faster than I could have blinked.  We actually had our own little office bake sale last week, that was a leave what you want to donate and take what you want to eat, that raised over $6,000! See what a little love and a good sweet tooth can do?!
Source

Anyways, I will be dressing up in my best pink outfit for Sunday's event, and meeting a group of 15 or so coworkers for the race, which I am hoping to run...but with the state of my achilles tendon post-marathon, it isn't looking pretty.  I busted out a slightly agonizing 3 miles earlier in the week (first and only run since the marathon!) and my achilles was just not having it.  So I am back to acupuncture and low impact rest :)


3. Recipe: Homemade Peanut Butter to be exact!  I have received a couple of questions about how to make your own nut-butters, and how interesting it would be to post on it...and since I was in the dark until I asked a friend, I thought it would be a good idea to share with you guys too.  Trust me, you will wonder how you ever were worried about doing it when you see how easy it is!! 


Homemade Peanut Butter (and I believe would work for most any nut-butter)

What you need:

  • 3 cups peanuts (I used sea salted dry roasted)
  • Food processor/chopper/magic bullet (I used a small Cuisinart chopper)
  • Empty jar with lid (I used an old Teddie's PB jar)
Instructions

  1.  Gather materials (nuts, chopper, jar)
  2. Fill chopper with nuts (I had to do two sets of 1.5 cups in the small chopper)
  3. Press and hold the "Grind" button (I had to switch between the grind and chop buttons to keep the blade working and keep the peanut powder from getting stuck)
  4. You will get a fine powder, and eventually it will turn to paste - you will want to check the consistency every minute or so to make sure you get the smoothness or crunchiness you crave 
  5. Put paste into jar
  6. Enjoy spread onto a whole wheat english muffin with a nice hot coffee on the side :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confusion, I still don't have a costume...what are your best last minute costume suggestions?!


Have you ever made your own nut butter?  What is your best concoction?

I just started, but it is so much cheaper and more convenient to do it myself (I buy the big costco container for like $6 and it makes a ton of jars that I would have been paying (minimum) $2.50 a piece for.  I want to try out chocolate/pb next :)

5 comments:

  1. never would have thought to make my own peanut butter--- is there enough oils to make it that work for almonds without adding any additional oils?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never liked peanut butter until my first MIL made it in a blender with just raw peanuts. That is still my fave although I now make it sometimes with roasted nuts as well.

    Loved your TC review.

    Your cookies look good! I will be checking out the bake sale for sure!

    Good luck in your Run For the Cure event with your coworkers. If you have to walk, do it! The point is just to get out there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. The term FREGGIES came from my laziness and trying to avoid typing FRUIT AND VEGETABLES every time I want to use that phrase.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cookies look incredible, wow! I have made almond butter before but it wasn't quite right. I'll have to try it again with PB!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!