Thursday, October 13, 2011

Three Things Thursday, marathon edition

This is kind of perfect timing, and I will admit, I just noticed why...I just have to get through 3 more days before I get in that starting corral for Newport...perfect timing to share three things on my mind today that pertain to the marathon (let's be honest, everything in my mind is pertaining to the marathon right now!)
1. How I feel....no, not physcially, I think I let you all know how I have been feeling this week when I described my experience at the Tufts race, but this is how I am feeling mentally right now (thank you Julia for finding this quote that explains my feelings almost word for word - I have had a hard time verbalizing this)....
"All this adversity composed a simple refrain, one that applies to life as much to running: Keep going, one foot in front of the other, millions of times. Face forward and take the next step. Don't flinch when the road gets rough, you fall down, miss a turn or the bridge you planned to cross has collapsed. Do what you say you'll do, and don't let anything or anyone stop you. Deal with the obstacles as they come. Move on. Keep going, no matter what, one foot in front of the other, millions of times."
She found this in the book Running on Empty, and it is the truth...many people have laughed, balked, told me I am crazy for going forward with this race.  They are right - if I looked at someone else taking the same path I took to this starting line...I would call them crazy too...but sometimes, you have to do what you say you'll do - and I told not only the blogosphere, my family, my friends, my coworkers that I was going to do this...I told myself I was going to do this - so I am...whatever it takes, whatever obstacles come, I will keep moving and believing and persevering...

2. Prep...OK I dropped the ball on all of my plans for pre-race that I had wanted to iron out before race day, when I got injured all of those plans flew out the window....like running the second half of the course (which is blind to me to this day) as one of my training runs (I got hurt before I could do this), like planning out a pace and nutrition strategy ahead of time (I am currently trying to figure that all out and will most likely adjust the pacing on the fly).  But there are some things I have had planned since the beginning...

  • I will pick up my bib and packet at the expo on Saturday, to avoid any additional stress on Sunday morning
  • I will stay in Newport, to avoid any traffic or driving stressors
  • I will eat a wheat bagel and cream cheese, with a small coffee and touch of skim milk - because I know that this breakfast works for me
  • I will bring enough GU/Shot Bloks for the time I believe it will take me to finish this race and a little buffer
  • I will sleep a full 8 hours for the next three nights
  • I will drink at least 3 quarts, if not more, of water each day
  • I will eat good carbs for the next 3 days
  • I will charge my ipod Saturday night :)
  • I won't wear a water belt, but I will have Tripp hold a handheld in case I need one later on in the race
  • I will be smart, mentally, physically, total body smart 
3. My Outfit....I need your help on this!!! I bought a hot pink T (it is not my first choice, but I couldn't find a good tank and this is hot pink..enough said)  I have already ironed on black letters spelling "Nellie" on the front, and outlined in neon green fabric paint.  "Nellie" is a childhood nickname and a heck of lot easier to roll off the tongue than "Go Danielle" (or I am just weird). I am not putting anything else on the front because my bib will be there....but....I need help...on the back!

I bought an iron martini glass, and it will be used...just not sure how...I need your ideas for how to decorate the back of the shirt.....should I write out "Motivation" with the martini next to it? Should I put my blog name in permanent marker? Should I leave it blank? I am working with the following for supplies, so go crazy on suggestions - seriously - I need something to keep me occupied Friday night instead of going out!

  • Neon Fabric Paint (pink, green, white, yellow, orange)
  • Black iron felt letters (missing N-E-L-L-I-E)
  • a sheet (yes sheet) of pink, blue and purple tye-dyed duck tape
  • a martini glass iron on
  • permanent marker
Ready, set, decorate

P.S.  that bib that will be pinned on my Hot Pink T? #509....its on like donkey kong

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the craziest thing you have run a race in?

A St. Patty's get-up - nothing too too exotic :)

Do you ever make decisions knowing they are probably a bad idea, but go through with them anyways?

I am bull-headed, so yes, all.of.the.time

Any other advice for last-minute marathon prep?

4 comments:

  1. what about "marath-ini; where the glass is always full"

    and of course your blog name in the subtext???

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry i am not creative at all, but i can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you! It's getting close and you've worked so hard mentally and physically. I need to think about the back of the shirt creative. I'm the one taping my name on and ripping it off race morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FRIEND!!!!! i have been thinking about you practically every second this week (not too creepy...right!?!) and am seriously just so excited for you! i AM SO GLAD you are going through with the marathon. it WILL be a great day no matter what the past has been. ummmm my brain has turned off for the night but if I think of any epic decorating ideas I will tweet you :) ahhhh. counting down the minutes and SO wish I could be there to cheer you on! p.s. do you follow Lisa J from "Because I can..." I just read her post how she is running the Newport half!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!