Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What I Love Wednesday, Tommie Copper Review

So this Wednesday will be a little different from my typical What I Love Wednesdays (which I am embarrassed to say, last posted in September!)...because it is all about one thing, well two, but one company, following?

What I love this Wednesday (and most every other day since I received these beauts) is Tommie Copper Sleeves...
Excuse the horrible pic of me, and focus on the important piece, the sleeves
What are Tommie Copper Sleeves?
Their unique compression uses multi-directional support and proprietary copper-infused yarn to provide relief from arthritis and other joint pains, promote muscle recovery and reduce inflammation all while being comfortable enough to be worn throughout the entire day. (from their site)
Copper-infused yarn? I was a little skeptical about this at first, but if you notice the buzz words that stuck out to me...relief from arthritis and joint pains? muscle recovery? reduced inflamation? All while being comfortable? Sign me up!

After seeing some mixed reviews about these sleeves around the blogosphere, and suffering with my nagging knee tendinitis pains, I found myself in conversations with the most patient and helpful Jordan, who was thoughtful enough to offer me the chance to test out and review the sleeves for myself.  Now if you remember, with my first marathon coming up, I had tried acupuncture, cortisone, PT, everything - so hey, it couldn't hurt to gives these a shot, right?!

I picked out a set of knee sleeves first (as that was my problem area) and a pair of calf sleeves for good measure...I knew if my knees were bugging me now, it was only a matter of time before my calves, and down to my plantar would be hurting.  Jordan was phenomenal to work with, and as soon as I sent my sizes off (w/ a little note that my calves are usually too small for compression sleeves) she replied with a thoughtful suggestion to choose the smaller of the two sizes based on her own experience (I loved the personal touch).

As soon as the package arrived, I ripped it open and put on the sleeves...
resting, compressing, elevating...as you can see the band was tighter than the sleeve,  but not uncomfortably so...
At first I  thought the knee sleeves were too big, they weren't the tight compression I was used to with knee or calf sleeves in the past, even though I had ordered based on the suggested measurements.  However, after sending another email to Jordan (see, patient) she replied that the knee sleeve is actually not supposed to be tight, because they are meant to be worn all day, they aren't the typical tight constricting compression gear I might be used to.  Again, I was skeptical, but I told her OK, I will give them a try!

I wore them the entire next day at work, without anyone being the wiser, and it was the first day I didn't constantly think about the throbbing in my left knee.
haha, you would never know what's under here :) 
I mean I knew the sleeves were there, and the pain hadn't totally disappeared, but the throbbing had been largely reduced, and I was able to concentrate longer on projects I needed to work on  (instead of thinking constantly about my knee).  This was ground-breaking for me, as I had been in agony for weeks prior to trying these, and in a few hours I was almost comfortable again.  Needless to say, I wore the knee and calf sleeves almost every day and even to bed some nights leading up to the marathon...and you know what was packed on the top of my post-race bag for Tripp to bring for me? Oh yeah, the Tommie Copper sleeves.  I wore them the rest of the day Sunday, and overnight and honestly, my knee hasn't hurt since mile 17 :)

I can't even begin to explain how amazing it is to not be constantly thinking about my throbbing leg, and living in pain every moment...and I am attributing a good portion of that relief to the effects of the Tommie Copper sleeves.  The copper used in the materials helped to get my blood and oxygen circulating again and gave my knees the relief they were in need of.

Now that you know about my love affair with these sleeves, here are the quick and dirty details....

Pros:

  • Almost immediate relief (for me - everyone's bodies are different and therefore the reactions vary)
  • For the most part pretty comfortable, I didn't feel like I was losing circulation like with some compression gear, and I could (and did) wear them under jeans, dresses, leggings... 
  • Customer Service: I couldn't have had a better experience than I had with Jordan.  Her responses were dead on and fast and she was willing to work with me to answer any questions or concerns in full.
  • Price: I think the price is reasonable - in the world of knee braces and calf sleeves, $24.50 is not completely unreasonable. 

Cons:

  • They were a little scratchy at first - there is a tag on the inside seem of each sleeve (helped me know what was the back though :) ) 
    • After the first couple wears, I didn't notice this anymore, but if you have sensitive skin, you might want to cut the tag out of them (I never had to, as I don't even notice it anymore)
  • The fit is tough to get used to - as I mentioned above, I was really nervous that these were too big at first, but after speaking with Jordan and giving them a full day's try, I realized the fit was perfect, and any smaller and the bands holding them up would have been too tight.
  • Price: Although $24.50 is not completely unreasonable for a single sleeve, I can see that if you need multiple sleeves, the cost can add up pretty quickly. 
I thank you Tommie Copper for the opportunity to review these sleeves and bring some sanity back into my active lifestyle.  I whole-heartedly recommend these, especially if you are suffering chronic pain and are having trouble finding relief. Just remember...these are only one part of the equation (RICE...make sure if you are injured, you are resting, icing and elevating as well!).

If you want to find out more about the CU29 Copper sleeves, please head over to the Tommie Copper website - they have knee, calf and elbow sleeves, along with shirts (think shoulder/back pain) and gloves - they also have a great FAQ section that explains the benefits of compression and copper for the body.

Oh, and if you don't believe, me go check out how the T-shirt they offer helped out my friend Elle avoid back cramping and soreness when she had to stay face down for 72-hours post eye surgery!

I was provided these sleeves from the Tommie Copper company for review, free of cost; however, the views and experiences described/expressed in this review are 100% my own. Please keep in mind that this was my unique experience and not everyone will react in the same way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Have you had luck with compression gear and injuries?





7 comments:

  1. Great review. I am anxiously awaiting my own knee and calf sleeves from Jordan right now! I can't wait to try them!!!! I think the idea of using copper in compression gear is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a positive experience with them! I wasn't a fan, but different strokes for different folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review is awesome! Very informative and helpful. I am so glad that TC was able to help you out too.

    And thanks for the mention in your post, too.

    I am loving my TC and hope that the word spreads like wildfire. Pain and discomfort is not fun!

    Cheers!

    p.x. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I really love compression gear and think it really aids recovery. I also love all of your fun pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was an awesome review! very balanced! and i heart TC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your review! I've seen a few blogger reviews that were positive. Thanks for your honest insight.

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete
  7. I;m 81 going on 82 and I am anxiously awaiting my knee support that I just bought. Never heard of copper infused things but when I heard Montel Williams say he used them I figured why not. I going on a trip and I want to be able to walk around in comfort as I have a knee soreness on he inside part of my Left knee.Also as a former pharmacist I sold mny supports for knees, legs
    , and arms and really never found a good one. RALPH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!