Thursday, November 24, 2011

An Atypical Thanksgiving, but Still Very Thankful

So I didn't drop off the planet while on vacation, I was able to read a couple blogs, some amazing comments about your reasons to stay active and live healthfully, but when I got home late Monday night, something didn't feel right. No, I wasn't just talking about going from 85 degree and sunny to 35 and frigid, or from a bikini and bare feet to knee high boots and jackets, just something felt off.

I received a text from my mom around 3 am to call her when I got up (and no my mom is not a Monday night raged, so I was nervous - what happened while I was gone?!. It turns out my Grammy, my only grandparent I was able to get to know and grow up with, the woman who has been the rock holding up our family, was in ICU at the regional hospital. She had had fluid in lungs and now had blood clots in her lungs as well.

I went to work Tuesday morning (I even started writing an "I'm back" post with lots of pics to make you all jealous remember my trip by - it was titled "382" for the 382 emails in my inbox unread)but I received another call from my dad saying she Took a turn for the worse. I immediately shut down my laptop grabbed my things, and while holding back the tears that were welling in my eyes and the lump in my throat, I told a co-worker I had to go, it was my grandmother and I Need to get home. They were very understanding on I was on my way, I had to get back into Boston to pack a bag (I work outside the city, and live in the city - no, there is no reverse commute on the roads I take) and then I was off to battle the holiday rush hour traffic leaving the city, western mass bound. After what felt like forever, I made it to my aunts house (it was a 3 hour drive that is normally 1.5 hours). My grandma didn't want the children to see her in the hospital like that, so I stayed with my aunts children so she and my uncle could stay with my grammy, my mom and my other aunt at the hospital.

Now, thanksgiving is always a busy time for our family's store, Randall's Farm (farm stand w / bakery deli), we sell around 3000+ different pies and 200 turkeys, plus some of the fixings - so the stand is pretty rocking for the days leading up to the holiday (today). I stayed at my grandmas house Tuesday night and spent all of Wednesday (9 am - 9:30 pm) helping at the store, and stayed at my grandmas again with my mom, sister and dad (my sis and dad came down yesterday) and we are all just waiting to hear some good news.

There is no turkey in the oven, no pies baking away, no potatoes being mashed, no wine being poured...we are all just waiting to hear some good news.

I have spent the past two years with Tripp and his family on this day, helping to share in their family traditions and spending much needed rest and relaxation with his parents, grandparents, brothers and aunt and uncle - but today, I am sitting on the couch with my little sister, my dad and my cousin - waiting to hear some good news.  My mom is working and then going to the hospital, my aunts are already at the hospital, but until we hear some better news, the children are still not allowed. 

I am thankful for so many things in life, and today is no exception...I want to be positive and loving and festive, I don't want to be a downer or depressed, but I also don't want to put on a front.  I am scared, I feel sick, but I also feel so much love and an overwhelming sense of thankfulness - my Grammy is fighting, she is doing better this morning than the last, they are even talking about letting her try to breathe on her own today, she is fighting for her family, for her friends, for her life, and for that I am thankful...

I am thankful I have an amazing family, my rock - Tripp, a loving circle of friends, a good job, a comfortable life, good food when I want/need it, strong legs (even if they give me some problems), and you guys, my online community - seriously - I would not have accomplished so many things in the past couple of months without the supporting and thoughtful words I have read and heard regarding what I share on here, and for all of these things I am beyond grateful...cherish every day, every person, every breath - because no one can tell you what tomorrow will bring...

Happy Thanksgiving, even if it isn't the one you expected or are used to....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I may or may not be blogging over the next couple of days, not sure what the days will bring me and my family, but thank you to every one who has stuck around through my absence - I really appreciate the support :)  I promise there will be some quality content coming up when life gets a little less hectic.

You can still enter the LUNA Chix giveaway, and I will extend the deadline to next Monday, Nov. 28th, Happy Thanksgiving!!

6 comments:

  1. Your grandmother is in my thoughts and prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending thoughts and prayers to you, your grandma and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big hug. Thinking of you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending your grandmother all my healthiest thoughts and you and your family a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, so sorry that your Grandmother is not well. I am glad that you went home to be with your family and help out where you can. It is good to be together in rough times. I understand your Grandma not wanting the young ones to see her not strong and hale, but I know it is hard for you ... sending prayers and hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your family and especially your grandmother will be in my thoughts and prayers! Hope she gets better really soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!