Friday, November 11, 2011

Fitness Friday - Spinathon



Happy Friday everyone! We made it!! 

And I am particularly happy for Friday, because it means that tonight I get to partake in a great event aimed at supporting my friend Julia , a member of my Team LUNA Chix team, on her road to the World Triathlon Championships 2012, as a member of Team USA.  Julia qualified this year at Junior Nationals, after only her first competitive Tri season, which I think is a testament of how dedicated and hard working this girl is.  She is also a grad student working on her PHD in the field of environmental sustainability, works at the university and does several other things, including Luna, clubs, and training for world class sporting events :)
Julia at USAT Nationals - she is super speedy, go check her out!

After making it onto such a prestigious team, Julia had her coveted, brand new race bike stolen from her! If you all know the Tri world, and the equipment it takes to compete with the big boys, you know that a solid racing bike can run you a pretty penny...which is where the Spinathon comes in.  Julia is also a spin teacher, and in an effort to raise funds to get her a new racing bike and get her to Worlds next year, she has put together a fundraiser in the form of a Spinathon, at her local gym.
Julia holding up her 2011 Trek Madone 4.7 racing bicycle
For $20, you can help her on her road to a new bike, spend a night kicking butt and taking names on the spin bike with friends, as well as get entered to win a butt load of pretty awesome giveaways she has put together. For me, this was a no brainer, as I would be spending that much on a couple of drinks anyways, and what better way to spend a Friday night with friends, than sweating it out, instead of packing it on?!

So tonight, while some of the world is having their Happy Hours of the liquid variation, I will be enjoying my Happy Hour on the bike, over at Evolve Fitness.  If you are in the Boston area and want to join, just go check out her fundraiser page!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any big weekend plans?!


Does anyone else get really sore hip-flexors after spin class? Am I doing something wrong?

4 comments:

  1. fun post I am happy for your friend :D YAY!!!! I want to be on a team.....hmmm better get faster :) and I haven't got sore hip felxors before....weird. I do get stinging quads. Maybe ask the instructor AND make sure to stretch your hips out better :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this awesome post, Danielle!! Makes me feel so incredible to have friends like you! I looked around the spin class last night and thought, "how amazing it is that I know this many people who want and are able to take a spin class with me!" It's such a great community :) Amazing post!! Hip flexors will be sore- espeically if you're a runner. Just take the time to stretch them every time you spin!
    Friends/visitors can follow my blog at juliauntapered.com, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You've won something on my blog -- please check it out and send me your contact info (full name, email, mailing address). Congrats, and thanks for following my journey!!
    runningdivamom at yahoo dot com
    www.runningdivamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried a spinning class, but my brother dragged me out for a 15 mile bike ride yesterday and my hip flexors were DYING by the end of it! I feel your pain!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!