Monday, November 28, 2011

Monday Motivations: Mushroom and Sage Stuffing

I know, I know, this isn't the usual quote to get your butt moving or picture of a very fit, yet scantily clad girl taunting you to get to the gym, but hey, it is a recipe worth moving for, and therefore = motivation.

I mentioned cooking my first ever Thanksgiving stuffing (or I guess any time you crave it), and that it was a huge success among my family (trips for thirds = success in my book), but then I teased you with a picture and no more details about how you can enjoy in this stuffing creation yourself!

Ok, ok, so stuffing isn't the most appealing looking food, but I promise it tastes good! 
 My inspiration for a mushroom and sage stuffing came from Thanksgiving at Tripp's family's house last year, where his Dad made a mushroom and sage and an apple rosemary variation.  After polling my own Father and little sister, it was decided that I would try to re-create a mushroom and sage stuffing for the family's meal.  So here you go!

Mushroom and Sage Stuffing
Total Bake Time: 1 hour 15 min
Level: Easy

Ingredients

  • 1 loaf day-old Italian, French or Rustic bread (we used a day old rustic loaf)
  • 1-10 oz. package baby portobello mushrooms 
  • 1/2 a large Spanish onion (or 1 medium white/yellow onion) (chopped)
  • 3 stalks celery (chopped)
  • 2-14.5 oz. cans of low sodium/fat chicken broth 
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cloves garlic (diced)
  • 2 T + fresh Sage (chopped)
  • 1 T + fresh (or dried) Thyme
  • 2 tsp. fresh (or dried) parsley
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 2 T olive oil
  • salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Heat large non-stick skillet on medium/high heat with 1 T olive oil.  Add in onions, celery and garlic and cook for 5 - 8 minutes, until tender. 

While those are heating up, clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel (or clothe) and chop.  

Add in mushrooms, last T oil and all spices (including a couple of hefty dashes of salt and fresh ground black pepper each).  Chop up the bread into 1/2 - 1 in. pieces, and set aside in a large mixing bowl.  

In a separate bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and eggs.


When the veggies on the skillet are done (about 10 minutes total), add the chicken broth mixture and cooked veggies to the bread pieces.  Mix well.  Spray a 9 x 13 in. cooking dish with canola (or the like) oil spray, and pour in the bread/broth/veggie mixture.  Place in oven, and bake for 1 hour covered with foil.  After an hour, take the foil off and continue baking for an additional 15 - 20 minutes (to brown and crisp the top).

Enjoy!

** I got a little liberal with the spices, as in added a few more dashes of each while mixing in with the bread, but it isn't necessary - oh, and you might want a snack handy while this bakes, as the smell is heavenly and will make you start drooling in no time :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Do you like stuffing?

I used to hate it until last year when I tried Tripp's Dad's.

What would be your ideal stuffing flavors/concoction?

I am not going to lie, I like the apple and rosemary one the best, but that is because I love both flavors so much that I was biased towards it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. It is now on my Christmas list for sure.

    I have been making one the past couple of years with sage and cranberries and whole wheat couscous. It is good too, but I wanted a change this year. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so delicious! I LOVE stuffing!!! This might need to be added to the try list! I love...no scantily clad women telling you to go to the gym!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THAT would be my ideal stuffing! I love sage stuffing and that looks A MAZING! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a great recipe for stuffing. think the mushrooms are a perfect fit! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!