JŎCALAT?! What the heck?! That is the exact thought process that I went through when I first spotted these on their site. I have heard countless times (and experienced first hand) the deliciousness that is Larabars, but I had yet to hear about these JŎCALAT bars! Erica was too sweet when I asked about the bars, and if it would be OK to review and introduce my readers to them - and she sent me one of each flavor....each, chocolately, goodness flavor.
|Chocolate Coffee, Chocolate Mint, Chocolate, and Chocolate Hazelnut|
JŎCALAT is an organic chocolate food bar made from fruits, nuts and Fair Trade Certified™ chocolate. Each flavor contains no more than seven simple, organic ingredients that are deliciously rich, without added sugars, and free of dairy, soy, and gluten. With JŎCALAT, we're committed to the use of Fair Trade Certified™ chocolate and organic ingredients, doing our part to sustain the planet. (from their site)So in short, unlike the classic Larabars, these each have a good dose of daily chocolate in them :) I was especially excited for the Chocolate Hazelnut variety....as I thought it would be the perfect flavor for an after lunch treat!
|Only 5 ingredients!!|
- amazing for you, real, whole, easy to read ingredients
- gluten, dairy, soy free - also vegan and kosher (Hanukkah gift?)
- healthy alternative to that chocolate cheesecake you want to grab post-dinner
- natural source of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and fiber :)
- similar texture and shape of the classic Larabar
- each bar boasts a very rich chocolatey flavor, as well as a slightly nutty aftertaste
- although they have a similar texture to the classic Larabar, these are a little bit dryer - definitely have a glass of water or milk around while enjoying
- pricing - I haven't seen them in the stores near me, but online they are $31.95 for a 16-count box, so about $2 a piece - not horrible, but it could add up (in comparison, Larabars are typically $25.45 a 16-ct. = $1.60 a piece).
I honestly didn't have many cons (as you can see), they were a pleasant change from the classic Larabar that we have grown to love and cherish. I did in deed enjoy the Chocolate Hazelnut the best, and then Chocolate Mint came in a close second!
If you haven't tried these yet, I would recommend giving them a taste - as long you like chocolate and that nutty/bitter/rich/raw flavor of raw cocoa - and if you don't like chocolate, well...sorry to bore you with this review :)
* I was sent these bars free of cost form the Larabar company, but the opinions expressed are 100% my own!
**Also, I must note - I am really sorry that I did not take a picture of a cute bar cut in half picture like Elle does so wonderfully (they are so classy and yummy looking), but Larabar was nice enough to send me one of their new flavors to try, so I will do better this time around!!
Have you heard of/tried JŎCALAT bars?
If you could have any flavor mixed with one of these bars, what would you choose?
I would try orange - I loved a rich chocolate with a sweet orange accent!