Thursday, January 26, 2012

Three Things Thursday - Running Dates, GoMo, protein pancake fail

Random, why yes, yes my title is super random, thanks for noticing!

1, Running Dates: I have been loving this little Tuesday night tradition my friends Jessie and Emma have started, where in we meet up, run around 4-5 miles, make a dinner we all contributed ingredients to, and watch Switched at Birth.  I am really excited and happy that they have taken me in.

This Tuesday we spent the evening's run in Jessie's neighborhood and made some delicious Italian seasoned turkey burgers w/ sweet potato fries and a yummy salad (oh and J and I had a spectacular Nathan's pickle!)

But only after we first toasted the completed 4.77 miles and dinner in front us with some Cupcake prosecco...

bubbly anyone?!
in really classy glasses :)

We then of course washed down dinner with some tasty no-bake fruit tart "pie"

we all agreed it was hideous, but the flavor? Insanely good!! nutty, sweet, fruity
2. GoMo: Have any of you seen/heard of this yet? Working at a technology company I usually start my workday reading various tech blogs of interest, and I came across this site the other day.  It is a mobile site performance tool offered on a very simple, yet free, premise from Google, called GoMo.  Essentially, they allow you to check what your current website looks like on a mobile device and how fast it loads on a mobile device.
I went through this with my own blog, and it is easy as 1, 2, 3...just go to the site HERE, plug in your website URL, and check out how your site as it stands today performs/looks on a mobile device!  Now, my blog is hosted on blogger, and all mobile/tablet optimization is done on their discretion, so I really have very little control over this, beside image choices and formatting, but it was still cool to check out how well Blogger is allowing my blog to perform - as mobile site access is growing like wild fire, and not forecasted to stop anytime soon.


3. Protein Pancake Fail: I have been trying to make some of Jamie Eason's high protein snacks and meals, but have not been having much luck.  The only thing that came out good was the turkey muffins, which I did no photograph #fail.  So I woke up Sunday, wanting to make Tripp some surprise pumpkin protein pancakes, you know the ones, Christina and Elle make incredible looking (and from what they say, delicious) pancakes. I on the other hand, failed terribly! The batter was incredibly wet, meaning I had to try to cook them in a small, single serving frying pan, instead of a bigger, more efficient cooking surface (because I needed to contain the batter).  I even tried to put in a big scoop of ground flax seed in there to try to thicken it up!

I did eventually get the pancakes to cook into pancake form and they didn't taste half bad, but they were not spectacular either (a little bland for my liking).


So instead of pouting and spending an hour making each one separately, I decided to turn half the batch into mini-muffins for snacks throughout the day!


They tasted sort of bland, just like the pancakes, and I should have probably cooked them longer than I did, because within a day they were all wet and kind of gross in the middles :(  It was like stale baked oatmeal...

So please help me!! What am I doing wrong?!! I did use liquid egg whites, instead of actual eggs, so maybe that was what made it too wet at first? Or is the batter supposed to be so loose and I am just not used to that?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, so I lied...this is a four things Thursday post...

The Winner of my Everstride SportStick giveaway is lucky #3 - Elle @ Eat, Run, Sail :)


Elle, please send me an email (marquis.danielle@gmail.com) and send me over your address :) Congrats!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your arch nemesis in the kitchen?

These Jamie Eason protein pancakes and bars are definitely mine right now!

Do you ever monitor the performance of your website, or think about how others see your site?

21 comments:

  1. i love our tuesday night tradition. i'm so glad that we've started it.

    and i want more sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there will never be enough sweet potatoes...never :) I am going to have one with dinner tonight I think!! Go and get some!!!

      Delete
  2. Your running date night sounds like so much fun! My usual neighbor friend group has broken up a little (stupid military community) with people moving away, but this makes me want to start up our weekday running dates again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is a lot of fun!! We are hoping to rotate between our three houses, as we all live in different neighborhoods in and around the city! You definitely should get one going, even if it is just you and another friend, Emma and J were nice enough to invite me into theirs :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I am so excited for this win and will email you right away.

    The first protein pancakes I made have egg whites and soy protein powder... here is a link to my food blog post about them

    http://wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-ongoing-search-for-perfect-protein.html

    and the other one, I think the one you're referring to in your post is made with oat flour. It looks like in your pictures that your muffin/cakes have oats in them?? Could that be the difference?

    Sorry that you had problems but your muffins look like a good idea to save the batter.

    here is the post I did and recipe about them

    http://wecanbegintofeed.blogspot.com/2012/01/kicking-off-new-year-with-breakfast.html

    You and your girlfriends sure have a lot of fun together! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is what I used...oat flour and liquid egg whites, I will definitely check out your we begin to feed recipes next time!! Thanks Elle :)

      Delete
  4. Aww, running dates sound like such a great idea! I wish I lived closer to my running buddies so we could do that.

    Good luck figuring out the pancakes. I have never made them before, so I wouldn't know what to tell you. I just stick with the good old bisquick from the box! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yeah, I had a trusty recipe out of "joy of Cooking" but it is not necessarily high protein or healthy, yet still absolutely delicious!

      Delete
  5. I am so incredibly jealous of your running date. It seriously sounds so fun and the food looks amazing!! I think the muffins look incredibly good. Yum!! And I most definitely struggle with pancakes as well.....just can't ever seem to quite get the consistency right.

    btw we really need to plan a meet-up in Boston!! I must meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know!! We will plan one for April, assuming you will be here the whole weekend? Maybe a dinner one night? Not sure if you have special pre-race dinner plans, but there are a lot of good restaurants!

      Delete
  6. Sorry your protein pancakes didn't turn out like you had hoped they would. Sweet potato fries have become one of my favorites lately!

    Congrats Elle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't sweet potato fries just the best?! I was so sad when I got home last night and my sweet potatoes were gone!

      Delete
  7. I agree...we need a Boston meet-up! I can drive!!! Did I read that it was cupcake wine? Yum! My downfall in the kitchen is cooking meat....my hubby is in charge of the grill. All I can do it cut it up into pieces and fry it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm yes!! Well I will be out on Hyannis for the Half in February - are you running that one?

      We cooked the turkey burgers on pans in the oven, it was pretty fast and yummy - I did miss the grill/smokey flavor, but still with a potato bread bun and some ketchup = deliciousness!!

      Cupcake makes wine, proseccos, and even an amazing vanilla frosting vodka! I know, I was a little excited when I saw the display :)

      Delete
  8. i still gotta try that fruit tart. omggg. looks even more delicious seeing it this time for some reason! have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it was delicious - but it doesn't last for very long - definitely needs to be eaten within a day or two (the oils in the dates and the pineapple "syrup" make it kind of soggy after a couple of days!)

      Delete
  9. glad that pie was good, YAY for running dates. I love running in a group. GOMO sounds awesome, I am trying it now. I miss bloggers nice mobile themes :( I have one for mine but it sucks.

    CONGRATS to Elle, I love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I was excited it at least tasted good! And yes, it is nice to not have to worry much about the mobile themes - saves time optimizing for sure!

      Delete
  10. Oh that is a great idea-- a weekly running date followed by a yummy dinner. I wish my work schedule were more normal so that I could plan something like that with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh i need a run date, followed by wine in the dixie cups! those are classic times! good stuff friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks!! It is a great tradition we have go going!! tomorrow is soup, grilled cheese and cider!

      Delete

Thank you for keeping up with Happy, Healthy & Strong - I love to hear all of your comments and feedback!